Yeah yeah, I know that the year's not over. Yet. However, it was January like two seconds ago, so I have no doubt in my mind that the remainder of this year will be over before I know it. Musically, 2013 has been an incredible year, at least in my opinion. Here's a little summary of my favorite tracks of this year so far.
- Justin Timberlake - Mirrors: perhaps one of the greatest thing to happen, according to me, in the music world this year: Justin Timberlake reemerged from his musical hibernation. I didn't really fancy Suit & Tie, released on January 15th, as much as I thought I would have, considering it'd been seven years since he last released something, musically. However, when Mirrors made it out to the world on February 11th, my goodness gracious. I was absolutely blown away. It was like in the movies, when something great happens and you hear the Hallelujah chorus from Hendel's Messias. Yes, I have waited six years to use that reference. Gotta love music history, right? Anyway, even though it's not quite done yet, I am 99.9% sure that I will still consider this my favorite song of 2013 at the end of this year.
- Paramore - Still Into You: I've been a Paramore fan for ages, probably since... 2006 or 2007, something like that. I remember being in high school, like my first year, jamming Paramore songs with my friends between classes. Anyway, the buzz before their fourth and self-titled album caught my ears and I was definitely excited. When I heard this song for the first time, I was thrown off completely. In the best way possible. I definitely think that this is Paramore at their prime and I don't think I'll ever get sick of this song.
- Deaf Havana - Caro Padre: this is quite a recent release. I've had this band as a Spotify staple for a while now, their song Little white lies is a playlist must-have for me. Due to some things going on in my life I was a bit behind on the new music releases, Deaf Havana's Old Souls included. I made it a point to set an entire day aside just to catch up. I was not disappointed. I immediately purchased the record off of iTunes after my first listen. It's a total homerun start to finish, but the grand finale of the record - this song - is beyond magnificent. Just listen to it.
- The Summer Set - Maybe tonight: choosing just one song off of The Summer Set's third record, Legendary, is quite a task. It's one of my favorite releases of this year and I don't like singling out just one song when I love them all equally. That being said, since the first time I heard this particular song, which is the opening track, I've always felt like it "speaks to me" on some level. Which sounds really dumb and pretentious, but I really can't explain it in any better way.
- The Maine - Fucked up kids: once again, I don't like singling out just one track from an album I love equally in its entirety. It's very rare that this happens, most of the time there's that one track that I find myself skipping over. Forever Halloween is not one of those records at all. I will admit that I was struggling to choose just one song for this list, but I feel like this song does a very good job at summarizing everything I love about this band. And efter seeing this video (about a hundred times within the past few hours) my love for John as a vocalist has definitely been reaffirmed.
- Fall Out Boy - The Phoenix: another piece of news that left the entire music world in a frenzy was the one that FOB were coming back from their hiatus. I don't know about you, but Save Rock & Roll certainly didn't disappoint me. There's quite a few gems off of this record, but this one just hits you smack-dab in the face.
- Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball: I might be one of the very few that haven't seen the music video for this song. I have, however, seen Greg James' of UK radio channel BBC Radio 1 remake of it. It's quite disturbing. Anyway, disregard Miley's twerking and sledgehammer-licking shenanigans because this song is incredible. I've actually been quite a fan of her recent stuff, We can't stop was a bit of a jam for me this summer.
- One Direction - Diana: okay, I'm cheating a bit with this one because it hasn't officially been released yet. But it's SO GOOD. I don't think I've made it much of a secret how much I love One Direction and I cannot wait for their third album, Midnight Memories, which is to be released in about a month and a half. From what I've heard, this song will be on the record but I just couldn't wait for its release to add it to the list. It's got a bit of a '80s pop sound and I can't get enough of it.
- 5 seconds of summer - Wherever you are: I discovered and fell in love with these four Australian boys when I saw above mentioned boyband in May. Unfortunately not because they were opening (they have opened for 1D on this entire tour with the exception of mainland Europe. Sigh, so typical), but before the show started they showed a bunch of music videos on the big screens. I'd heard all of the songs before, all but one. I did my research and found out it was called Heartbreak Girl. I went completely bonkers, I think I listened to it for probably 8 out of the 14 hours I spent on a train back home. This song is a new one of theirs, and the music video is really sweet.
- This Century - Tip Toe: this year has been a complete musical overload for me. So. Many. Great. Records. This Century is responsible for one of them, named Biography of heartbreak. Just after my first listen this was a clear favorite of mine, and it's stayed that way ever since.
- A Rocket to the moon - You're my song: I'm a sucker for when people use music references in songs. This song has a bunch of them, I probably haven't spotted them all yet. I patiently waited for Rocket's sophomore release and was thoroughly disappointed every time it got pushed back. It was well worth the wait, I have nothing but love for this record and this band. Unfortunately the band is no more, but I'm excited to see what Nick Santino has up his sleeve with his next EP, and I'm sure Eric, Andrew and Justin has great things ahead of them as well.
Okay, so that's my favorite songs of this year so far! I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch of songs but my eyes are practically falling shut right now, so I'll leave it at this.
What's your favorite songs of this year? Did I forget anything? Let me know in the comments below!